A few other notes I should add:

1.  Per the reasoning above, the PCM of a sine wave is going *tend to* to
be proportional to the wave's physical amplitude (speaker
displacement) *multiplied
by* its frequency — again, in an ideal system without frequency-dependent
effects (and those are inevitable).

2.  Just because PCM encodes velocity doesn't mean there's some inherent
delay or phase shift as suggested by others here.  Those artifacts come
from frequency-dependent effects.  For example, if I have a circuit
composed of two identical transducer coils wired to one another, and I
whack the first one, the acceleration of its coil is going to create a
voltage that drives an acceleration of the other coil.  In an "ideal"
physics scenario the second coil might copy the first's movement perfectly
and instantaneously, but it doesn't because we have electrical resistance,
friction, momentum, etc.

– Evan Balster
creator of imitone <http://imitone.com>