On 10/18/06, Frederic Da Vitoria <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
2006/10/18, Aaron Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> On 10/18/06, Frederic Da Vitoria <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Nertz)

> > > Yes.. but the same group of performers would be the more common case.
> > > And if we put disc number last where it is the only changing part, we
> > > should probably put it last always, for consistency.  I can't think of
> > > a (non-contrived) case where putting the disc number before the
> > > perfomer info is actually better, only cases where it makes no
> > > difference or is worse.
> > >
> > > --
> > > David Gibson                    | I'll have my music baroque, and my code
> > > david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au  | minimalist, thank you.  NOT _the_
_other_
> > >                                 | _way_ _around_!
> > > http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson
> >
> > Not so sure. A box set of Mozart's complete works comes to mind... But
> > I agree this is very rare. It should only be used if the performers
> > change from disc to disc.
> >
> > --
> > Frederic Da Vitoria
> >

> The performer/conductor information that we add to Classical releases
> is not part of the Release Title.  I would argue that disc numbers are
> "part" of the release title, or at lease more so than performer
> information.  I like the second format:
>
> "Big Works (disc 1) (Timbuktu Philharmomic feat. conductor Fred Nertz)"
>
> This way, when a large box set has different performers they are still
> sorted in the correct order, according to disc number. Just picture
> this:
>
> "ReleaseTitle (ABC Orchestra feat. conductor: WhatsHerName) (disc 3)"
> "ReleaseTitle (DEF Orchestra feat. conductor: SoAndSo) (disc 1)"
> "ReleaseTitle (GHI Orchestra feat. conductor: TheUglyOne) (disc 2)"
>
> --
> -Aaron

Yes, but imagine for Beethoven:
The Nine Symphonies (disc 1) (George Szell)
The Nine Symphonies (disc 1) (Georg Solti)
The Nine Symphonies (disc 2) (George Szell)
We are actually mixing discs from different box sets.

You can do the same with "Symphonies Nos. 1-9" by Herbert Kegel, Janos
Ferencsik and Bernard Haitink. And I only used Amazon's first answers
for Beethoven Symphonies!

--
Frederic Da Vitoria

That scenario doesn't bother me.  Why is that so bad?  Also, those
releases need identical release dates for that scenario to happen.  I
think you can easily see the release title and disc number (arguably
the most important) and then, when you see two or more similarly
titled releases, you can determine which is the one want by continuing
to read from left to right when you look at the performer information.
--
-Aaron