On 10/18/06, Dave Smey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Since we are apparently connoisseurs of netiquette here, first let me
point out that

1) It is not polite to take something mailed off-list and put it on-list.

Sorry, I did not mean to be impolite.  I just thought my email was
"worthy" of being seen by others.

2) You should trim your responses so that only the relevant portions are
included.

(In a friendly, joking tone) Or you could get an email client that
doesn't show you irrelevant portions of forwarded emails ;)  I use
Gmail and I guess it auto-hides stuff that isn't responded to in a
foward.

On Wed, October 18, 2006 2:00 pm, Aaron Cooper said:

> My argument is that the disc numbers are *closer* to being part of the
> name of the release than MB's special performer information and
> therefore, should follow the name of the release (before performer
> information).  I don't understand how you can argue that this:
>
> [first scenario]
> The Nine Symphonies (Georg Solti) (disc 3)
> The Nine Symphonies (George Szell) (disc 1)
> The Nine Symphonies (George Szell) (disc 2)
>
> ... is better than this:
>
> [second scenario]
> The Nine Symphonies (disc 1) (George Szell)
> The Nine Symphonies (disc 1) (Georg Solti)
> The Nine Symphonies (disc 2) (George Szell)
>
> ... ever!  The first scenario is *so* bad, it shouldn't matter how
> infrequently we see the second scenario!

I don't see how the first scenario is bad at all - it's fine!  You seem
hung up on what is "essentially" part of the title, when really Classical
releases generally have no fixed title - what's on the cover is usually
different from what's on the spine, etc.  Here at MB the performer
information is a very important part of the title because it is needed to
differentiate the release from other recordings of the same repertory.
(If we had label/cat differentiation that would also help, but we don't.)

-DS

-Aaron