Brian Schweitzer wrote:
My sense of what's been said, and some thoughts on how maybe we can move forward:

We would like all ARs to be meaningful.
We would like everyone to agree on just what any given AR level implies. We would love if all release level ARs applied only to all tracks, but we are in agreement that: 1) This isn't true for many of those release level ARs we already have, and 2) Many liners simply don't present enough info for us to be able to say this, so either a) This info ends up being put in annotations, where it is much less
             useful from a database and discographical point of view
          b) This info ends up in release-level ARs.
3) AR info ought to not inherit from releases to tracks, nor be assumed to do so.
    4) ARs fall into three groups:
        Type 1) Some ARs apply best at only the track level, if there's
solid info to support that it does apply to that specific track, but end up in release-level ARs as "fuzzy" data when the specific
             track(s) are unable to be (yet) identified.
Type 2) Some ARs apply only at the release level, and not to any track, and are not ever "fuzzy" at this level. Type 3) Some ARs can apply at either level - photography, liner notes, production, etc.

So what if we take the list of release and track ARs, and work out which ARs are each type? (And which ARs maybe don't make sense to be at one or the other level, or which ones, such as the missing track AR "has libretto by", need to be added so that ARs truly can be added at the proper level.)

Type 1 ARs are always fuzzy if at the release level. Type 2 ARs are then by definition non-fuzzy. For Type 3 ARs, add a (by default unchecked) checkbox "This is a non-fuzzy AR" for them on the add/edit AR screen so we can identify which ones are at the release level because they belong there, and which ones are at the release level because they're waiting on better info to allow them to be migrated to the track level?

This way, "Joe Blow newer editor" can add ARs from the liner in his hand, at the release level, and MB benefits by having some better discographic info than we had before. "Jane Smith expert editor" who has the drummer's notes, or the session history, or whatever, can look at the ARs and easily identify which ones may need cleanup. Jane Smith also can edit the ARs to mark any that are correct at release level (and not track level) as "non-fuzzy".

So then we do get the best of both - editors still have it easy to add ARs. We all end up with a better understanding of what any given release level AR means. Editors who would have added only a release level AR if it applied to all tracks now would be actually adding all the track ARs instead. And editors and users using or working on release level ARs can look at those ARs and know which production/liner/etc ARs are *for* the release, and which ones just are being "stored" at the release until they can be moved lower when better data is available.

+1 from me too. Kudos to Brian - lovely stuff.