2011/6/7 Lukáš Lalinský <lalin...@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Frederic Da Vitoria
> <davito...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Don't you think this would be a little difficult to explain to users?
>> Change the title if the variation is small, but don't change it if it
>> is large. I know, this is not how you would explain it, but this is
>> what it would amount to.
>
> I think that the guidelines regarding release/track titles should be
> based on the previous guidelines, white-listing things that don't have
> to be applied to recording/track titles. If we want to allow people to
> submit releases "as on cover" without reading the release
> group/recording guidelines, we will end up with a FreeDB clone.

We have recordings and works to unify all the songs internally, so the
"FreeDB clone" thing is being *way* too negative, luks – we also
expect people to follow the guidelines, of course, but we've always
expected that, there's no difference there. I know some people (warp,
for example) want to just follow the cover. I don't agree and I would
still fix things like capitalization and typos. But the only reasoning
for this is Abbreviation style, and the only reasoning for that is
<<that one single abbreviation can mean several different words when
expanded. This issue becomes very important when dealing with
multi-lingual words, for example the word "Volume" and "Volumen" are
both abbreviated to "Vol." and there is no way to tell which expansion
is correct without doing further research.>>
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Style/Recording_and_release_group_titles/Abbreviations

It makes sense to keep normalizing them in release groups (according
to Series Style) because their titles being normalized makes it
simpler to see that they're all parts of the same series. But in
releases… not so much (note that I'm used to finding Spanish rap
records with titles like "Englishword Spanishword Spanishword, vol. X"
(which makes sense like that, but what do you expand that to? The
English "Volume"? The Spanish "Volumen"? It's called "vol. X"!

>> Normalizing track titles to get a normalized translation seems quite
>> interesting to me, but I feel this would be perverting the database
>> structure. Translations should have their own place IMO, and I believe
>> everything we do until we reach that point should only be temporary
>> measure. A temporary measure should never limit normal uses. Hmm, I
>> feel I am not quite clear here.
>
> I disagree. I'm not talking about pseudo releases, that users
> translate for their convenience. I'm talking about official releases
> with different barcodes that simply have titles in different
> languages. I see them as different releases, not just "translations"
> of the release in the primary language.

Weren't we just linking those with "earlier release of" links before?
That's just the same as "album version", or as "Y feat. X - Z" vs "Y -
Z feat. X" vs. "Y - Z avec X, or as "The X" vs. "X". I fail to see the
problem, tbh. As long as the recordings themselves are normalized (and
they should probably have aliases for translation stuff, BTW… I have a
ticket for that somewhere) we should be fine.

> Lukas

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren