2014/1/21 symphonick <symphon...@gmail.com>

> 2014/1/21 Frederic Da Vitoria <davito...@gmail.com>
>
>> 2014/1/21 symphonick <symphon...@gmail.com>
>>

>>> One could also have the orchestras as sub-types of the general ensemble
>>> types.
>>>

>> Isn't this mixing different ontologies? Instrumental (mixed / string /
>> wind / brass) and size/complexity (symphony / chamber).
>>

> I suggested that the orchestras could be sub-types of ensembles :-) The
> question is if it's easier for the user if there's a specific "orchestra"
> category anyway? You have a specific "Wind" category, although wind
> ensembles are often mixed woodwind + brass (+ percussion, which is a
> category I forgot about, also I'm not sure what to do with electronic
> instruments).
>

>> Instruments first, size last
>>
>> *String ensemble
>> **String orchestra
>> **String quartet
>> **String quintet
>> **String trio
>>
>> *Wind ensemble
>> **Wind orchestra
>>
>> *Brass ensemble
>> **Brass quintet
>>
>> *Mixed ensemble
>> **Symphony orchestra
>> **Chamber orchestra
>> **trio
>> ***Piano trio
>> ** quartet (not strings only)
>> ** quintet (not strings only)
>>

>  ** orchestra (I am not suer this level is useful, or should it actually
> be named "specified size"?)
>
> Not all orchestras fit the description "symphonic" or "chamber".

Right, "orchestra ("others")" missing

 I prefer Instruments first, size last, I find it easier to find my way to
>> a specific ensemble, but size first is probably better for mixed ensembles
>>

> I agree. Let's try some examples:
>
> http://www.rsno.org.uk/ - Symphony orchestra

I'd check first whether this is actually a symphony or a chamber orchestra.
But anyhow, once this is checked, finding the correct category should not
be an issue

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricercar_Consort - "Mixed ensemble"?
> http://www.ownvoice.com/palladianensemble/ - "Mixed ensemble"?
> http://www.drottningholmsbarockensemble.net/ - "Mixed ensemble"?

The user would have to check whether these are single-instrument-type (for
example string) ensembles or truly mixed. Chamber? Are these so small that
they should be left into the "ensemble" fall back category?

We should give an indication of a limit between the size categories,
something not really strict (one should not no-vote an edit because the
numbers don't quite match), but which would help users to pick the correct
answer.

http://www.pianotrio.com/ - Piano trio
> Bill Evans Trio
> http://musicbrainz.org/artist/d0630a08-3b40-4cb4-9f48-7d525262c1f6 -
> Piano trio
> Berlin RIAS Sinfonietta - "chamber orchestra"?

I feel that a sinfonietta is closer to a symphony orchestra than to a
chamber orchestra, but I don't really care. We could as well decide to put
sinfonietta into the "others" category, simply because there isn't a really
good reason to put it elsewhere.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_Davis_Quintet - "quintet"?

Well, yes, why not?

--