As everything in classical, this is a difficult question!

Certain genres or forms normally should use roman numerals to number the
movements such as Concerto, Symphony or Sonata forms. But I'm sure there's
exceptions especially in modern times where a composer purposely used
another numbering scheme or left them out.

Other forms such as song cycles, collections of works (ie Chopin`s
Preludes) or variations should normally not have any numbering scheme at
all.

If a numbering scheme is required and undefined by the composer, I'd prefer
standardizing on roman numerals to go inline with Work and Recording titles.

Sebastien