Hi,

I was wondering how releases like http://www.discogs.com/release/540973
should be represented in MB.

Disc 1 is a hybrid SACD, i.e. there is a "regular" CD layer which can be
replayed in a standard CD drive and from which a DiscID can be generated.
The other layer contains the same audio (i.e. the same stereo mixes) and a
5.1 mix in SACD format.
Disc 2 is a DVD with a menu where you can choose between the album in stereo
or in 5.1, 3 videos (with stereo sound) or a photo gallery.

Currently it looks like this:
https://musicbrainz.org/release/d502300a-494d-42f0-a63c-b66581116f87/

My suggestion is to change this to a 5 media release:
1.) CD / SACD stereo, 12 tracks
2.) SACD multichannel, 12 tracks
3.) DVD stereo, 12 tracks
4.) DVD multichannel, 12 tracks
5.) DVD video, 3 tracks (or 4 including [photo gallery] ???)
The tracklists of 1 and 3 and of 2 and 4 would be identical.

BTW, stereo and 5.1 were mastered by different people in different studios.
That's why, I think we need mastering credits at medium level at least (or
allow them again on recording level if that's not possible).

Also BTW, part of this topic has already been discussed in the past but
there was no real conclusion:
http://musicbrainz.1054305.n4.nabble.com/Hybrid-SACDs-td3885610.html

Cheers,

Christian (MD)