> On Nov 28, 2014, at 11:34 AM, Tom Crocker <tomcrockerm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> For what it's worth, 5d and 6c are what I did for DVD 1 on [1]
> I also followed Hawke's proposed numbering style [2] as best I could.
> Two things to note about this case that made it more likely I'd add two
> versions:
> a) The different versions were video and audio recordings with different
> sources of the same performance (1 - mixed video and 5.1 audio; 2 - hi-8
> camera video and audio (stereo) only). The stereo on the CD is also
> multi-source like the 5.1 on the video, but I also put those in as different
> recordings.
> b) The first chapter (track) is split in two on the first title and there's
> an extra chapter at the end of the first title.
>
> Putting the info in the recording disambiguation comment only as I've done
> makes it all a bit mysterious looking. I should at least have said something
> about it in the annotation. Obviously medium sections [3] would help a lot
> here.
>
> 1 http://musicbrainz.org/release/2b241c03-5d9e-4f25-949d-a9ae31c0da6d
> <http://musicbrainz.org/release/2b241c03-5d9e-4f25-949d-a9ae31c0da6d>
> 2 http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/User:Hawke/Proposal/Track_numbering
> <http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/User:Hawke/Proposal/Track_numbering>
> 3 http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/MBS-6680
> <http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/MBS-6680>

I’m not sure how Picard handles that kind of numbering.  I assume it ignores it
and just numbers everything sequentially.  It could make for a tagging mess if
it doesn’t know how to handle it.

I list all the actual chapters, as I’m thinking of someone ripping the DVD, and
then wanting to use Picard to tag the chapters.  What does Picard do with “1.-“
as a track number?  I consider the actual chapters as gospel and number them
consecutively, packaging is often wrong about numbers of tracks, etc. anyway
and the reality of what is on the medium is what I try to represent.

Yes, with no eti, all the duplicated track names make for a mess, that is why I
use it.

The CD should be different recordings as you have done since it is audio only
and not a video.

You need to change all the video recordings on that release to videos.  It is a
shame there is no way to do that on initial track list entry.  You have to go
back and edit each recording separately.

--
Steve Martin