My original post was intended to also point out that there is no style
guide for Cover Art.  Sorry if I didn't make that clear.  Does one exist?
(I can't find it)  Or could it be simply because no one in the community
has written one?  (I don't think the How-to counts, nor does the Wiki)

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 8:12 PM, Duke Yin <yind...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > One camp has one image for each page.  And another camp captures two
> pages at once (except for the front and back). ... we should have a
> discussion on which way is preferred, or if both is allowed
> Of course both are allowed. So are tetromino foldouts:
>
> http://musicbrainz.org/release/990d292d-0a7d-443b-9835-f8e903598c5b/cover-art
>
> Fascinating.  This is pretty cool.  No, I suppose it won't.  All the more
reason to have a way to describe the form of the original "booklet".  I
don't want to abandon my desire to add a feature just because there are
some outlying cases that make it hard.

I can't imagine an easy way to "enhance" the schema that would give you the
> functionality you want while still allowing valid cover art.  (Measuring
> the aspect ratio won't get you there either - what if the booklet is a
> (deck of) card(s), and it's physically impossible for the front and back of
> the card to be side-by-side?)
>
> I think it could be as simple as a finite list of formats; along the line
of how a release packaging is handled.  Call it "booklet format".  You
could have "Booklet" - meaning something that multiple pages, folded and
bound and operates like a book with pages.  Or it could simply be an
"Insert", which is simply a single piece of paper with art on both sides.
Or it could be a "Deck of Cards" that imply an order with items with images
on the front and back.  Or it could be a "foldout" or some such.  I expect
there would be a finite list.  The idea is that an application that is
presenting the art has some means to know how to replicate the experience a
user would have had with the real artwork in hand.  Obviously you can't
fully replicate it.  But we're all familiar with apps that give the
impression of turning pages and such motions.  But to do that properly I
need more information.  Do you turn pages?  Do you turn them from right to
left (as in most Western languages), or left to right (as in Hebrew and
other eastern languages).  Do you turn them up?  (like a calendar).  Do you
show an open book (both facing pages open at once, side by side); or just
one at a time (like a card).  I think the list would be fairly short and be
able to encapsulate all that information.  Certainly this complex foldout
would be particularly challenging to replicate.  Why should one
particularly difficult case prevent us from supporting the easier cases
first?

> > "Cover Art" sweeps in far too many items that have nothing to do with
> Cover Art. ... It seems that "Cover Art" is somewhat too narrow a
> description.  "Artwork" would seem to be a better label for the category in
> general; or even "Imagery".
> https://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Cover_Art/Types doesn't look to me like it
> sweeps in any image types that have "nothing to do with Cover Art".  Do you
> have some example MB Releases where you believe the cover art does not
> belong?

Perhaps I'm not with the program; but it seems to me that "Cover Art" is
the Art that is on the Cover.  I definitely could be wrong though.  I
didn't want that comment to be a serious suggested change, however.  So I
won't say any more.