> On Jan 13, 2015, at 6:25 PM, Jim Duke <james.enoch.d...@gmail.com
> <mailto:james.enoch.d...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Please correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm very likely to be wrong).  I've
> poured over the style guide and couldn't find a style guild pertaining to
> Cover Art.  I can find how-to's.  I can find advice.  But not in the official
> style guide.  That seems to leave the rules for Cover Art somewhat vague.

We don’t really have a style guide for cover art. We do have
http://musicbrainz.org/doc/How_to_Add_Cover_Art
<http://musicbrainz.org/doc/How_to_Add_Cover_Art> which contains a few
recommendations (e.g. scanning around 300 dpi; this is mostly for practicality
reasons).

> Sure, most releases don't have booklet art.

If you mean digital releases, then yes. Most of the physical media I have have
some sort of booklet.

>   But of those that do, there seems to be two camps.  One camp has one image
> for each page.  And another camp captures two pages at once (except for the
> front and back).  I suppose that I could detect it by examining the height vs
> width ratio.

I can’t speak for every case, but a lot of times that has to do with the
thickness of the booklet. On most CD releases the booklet is thin enough that
you can scan 2 pages at once and the image will be readable, but some are so
thick that if you try to scan 2 pages at once (especially on the first and last
pages) the center of the image will be blurry and distorted.

> But in any case, we should have a discussion on which way is preferred, or if
> both is allowed, or if we need to enhance the schema to better indicate the
> kind of image it is.  It seems, however, that the results of this discussion
> should be captured in the style guide.
>
> Has this been discussed before?  I've tried searching the archives; but
> "Cover Art" sweeps in far too many items that have nothing to do with Cover
> Art.

I’m not aware of it being discussed in mb-style before. It has been brought up
in IRC and in the forums (namely this thread:
http://forums.musicbrainz.org/viewtopic.php?id=4308
<http://forums.musicbrainz.org/viewtopic.php?id=4308>)

> Also - not that I want to change it just to change it - just making an
> observation.  It seems that "Cover Art" is somewhat too narrow a description.
>  "Artwork" would seem to be a better label for the category in general; or
> even "Imagery”.

The term is a holdover from when music was mostly distributed on physical
media. Now with digital distribution the sense of a physical “cover” has been
lost but accompanying images are still a thing. “Artwork” might be good in this
sense. I’ve added releases with accompanying wallpapers, sketches and stuff;
these would not traditionally be deemed “cover art” but they were packaged with
the audio nonetheless.