In the name of  Allah, the Most-Merciful, the  All-Compassionate

"May the Peace and  Blessings of Allah be Upon You"

Praise be to Allaah, we seek His help and His forgiveness. We  seek refuge with
Allaah from the evil of our own souls and from our bad  deeds. Whomsoever
Allaah
guides will never be led astray,  and whomsoever Allaah leaves astray, no one
can guide. I bear witness  that there is no god but Allaah, and I bear witness
that Muhammad is His  slave and Messenger.

Bismillah  Walhamdulillah Was Salaatu Was Salaam 'ala  Rasulillah
As-Salaam Alaikum Wa-Rahmatullahi Wa-Barakatuhu

If Surah Ikhlaas is 1/3  of Quraan Then Why Read The Whole Quraan ?

Firstly:  there follow some of the ahaadeeth      narrated from the Prophet
(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon  him) which state that Soorat al-Ikhlaas
(Qul Huwa Allaahu Ahad) is      equivalent to one-third of the Quraan.

Al-Bukhaari (6643) narrated from Abu  Saeed      that a man heard another man
reciting Qul Huwa Allaahu Ahad and  repeating it. The next morning he came to
the Messenger of Allaah       (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and
told him about that.  The man thought that it was too little, but the Messenger
of Allaah       (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “By the One
in
Whose hand is my soul, it is equivalent to one-third of the Quraan.”

 Muslim (811) narrated from  Abul-Dardaa      that the Prophet  (peace and
blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:  “Is any one of you unable to  recite
one-third of the Quran in one      night?”

They said, “How could anyone read  one-third of the Quraan?”

He said, “Qul Huwa Allaahu  Ahad is equivalent to one-third of the      Quraan.”

 Muslim (812) narrated that Abu  Hurayrah      said: The Messenger of Allaah
(peace and blessings of Allaah be  upon him) said: “Gather together,  for I
will
recite to you one-third of  the      Quraan.”

So  those who could gather together gathered there, then  the Prophet of Allaah

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came  out      and recited Qul Huwa
Allaahu  Ahad, then he went in.

They  said to one  another, Perhaps there has been some news from heaven on
account of      which he has gone inside (the house).

Then the Prophet of Allaah   (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came
out and said, “I told  you      that I was going to recite to you one-third of
the Quraan. Verily  it is equivalent to one-third of the Quraan.”

Secondly: The bounty of Allaah is  immense,      and Allaah has bestowed His
bounty upon this ummah and has made up  for its short life span by giving it
more reward for simple deeds. It is       strange that with some people,
instead
of this motivating them to do  more good, this makes them apathetic and lazy in
doing acts of worship,  or      they feel that this bounty and reward is
strange
and farfetched.

 With regard to the meaning of the  hadeeth:
 There is a difference between jaza  (reward)      and ijza (what is
sufficient). What is making the brother confused  is that he does not see the
difference between them.

 Jaza  means the reward which Allaah gives      for obeying Him.
 Ijza means what is sufficient and  takes the      place of something else.

 Reciting Qul Huwa Allaahu Ahad brings       a reward equivalent to reciting
one-third of the Quraan, but it  does not take the place of reading one-third
of
the Quraan.

 If a person vows – for example – to  read      one-third of the Quraan, it is
not sufficient for him to read Qul  Huwa Allaahu Ahad, because it is equivalent
to one-third of the Quraan      in reward, but not in terms of being sufficient
or taking the place  of reading one-third of the Quraan.

 The same may be said of reciting it  three      times. If a person recites it
three times in his prayer, that does  not mean that he does not have to recite
al-Faatihah, even though he  will be      given the reward of reciting the
whole
Quraan.

 A similar example is the reward given  by the      Lawgiver to one who offers
single prayer in the Sanctuary of  Makkah, and that he will have the reward of
one hundred thousand  prayers. Does      anyone take this divine bounty to
means
that he does not have to  pray for decades because he offered a single prayer
in
the Haram that is       equivalent to one hundred thousand prayers?

 Rather this has to do with reward; as  for      what is sufficient, that is
another matter altogether.

 Rewards are of different types, just  as      wealth is of different types,
such as food, drink, clothing, houses,  money and so on. If a man possesses one
type of wealth, to the value of  one      thousand dinars, that does not mean
that he can do without the other  types. Rather if he has wealth in the form of
food, he also needs  clothing      and a place to live, etc.

Similarly  if it is a type other than  money, he still needs other things. If
he
has nothing but money, he will  need all      kinds of wealth that are usually
needed.

In  al-Faatihah there are  the benefits of praise and duaa which people need,
and Qul Huwa  Allaahu      Ahad cannot replace it in that sense. Although its
reward is very  great, he cannot benefit from it unless he also recites the
Opening of  the      Book (al-Faatihah) in his prayer. Hence if a person
recites
only Qul  Huwa Allaahu Ahad in his prayer, without al-Faatihah, his prayer is

not valid. Even if he recited the whole of the Quraan without  al-Faatihah, his
prayer would not be valid, because the al-Faatihah  refers to the      basic
needs that people cannot do without.
Majmoo al-Fataawa,      17/131.

 And he said:

 The knowledge that is to be gained by       reading the rest of the Quraan
cannot be gained by reciting this  soorah only. So whoever reads the whole
Quraan is better than one who  simply      recites this soorah three times in
the sense that he earns different  kinds of reward, even though the one who
recites Qul Huwa Allaahu Ahad      earns a reward equivalent to that reward,
but
it is of one type and  does not include all the types that a person needs. This
is like a man  who has      three thousand dinars and another who has food,
clothing,  accommodation and money equivalent to three thousand dinars.  The
latter  has that which      will benefit him in all his affairs, whereas the
former needs what  the latter has, even though what he has is equivalent in
value.

Similarly,  if      he has the finest food, equivalent to three thousand dinars
in  value, he still needs clothing and accommodation, and weapons and tools
that will      ward off harm from him, and the like, which cannot be done with
food  alone.
 Majmoo al-Fataawa,      17/137-139

 And Allaah knows best.
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/10022/ikhlas

 Permission is granted to circulate  among private individuals and groups, to
post on Internet  sites and to publish in full text and subject title in
not-for-profit  publications.