In the name of Allah, the Most-Merciful, the  All-Compassionate

"May the Peace and  Blessings of Allah be Upon You"

Praise be to  Allaah, we seek His help and His forgiveness. We seek refuge with
Allaah  from the evil of our own souls and from our bad deeds. Whomsoever
Allaah guides will never be led astray, and whomsoever Allaah leaves  astray,
no
one can guide. I bear witness that there is no god but  Allaah, and I bear
witness that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger.

Bismillah Walhamdulillah Was Salaatu Was Salaam 'ala   Rasulillah
As-Salaam Alaikum Wa-Rahmatullahi Wa-Barakatuhu

by Asma bint Shameem

Growing up in Pakistan, the month of Shabaan would bring in a  lot of
excitement
and celebration. And that was because celebrating the  night of the fifteenth
of
Shabaan was a big thing and considered a very  virtuous act, indeed.

Men would gather in the masjid while the women prepared Halwas  and sweets,
preparations were made for all night vigils or "Shabeenas"  as they were
called,
buses were made available to take the men to visit  the graveyards and flyers
were distributed to everyone containing a long  list of special prayers so that
they could stay up all night praying.

But, Alhamdulillaah, how Allaah Subhaanahu wa Taala protects  His Deen. When
Allaah enabled me to study this beautiful religion of  ours, all that changed.
realized that all those special prayers,  all those night vigils, all those
Halwas and all those graveyard visits  were really not the way of the Prophet
(Sal Allaahu Alayhi wa  Sallam). In fact all that was far...far away from his
Sunnah and the  Shareeah that he brought.

And so I thought I would bring to attention some of the  misconceptions and
wrong ideas attached to this month as this ignorance  and innovation has become
so rampant, that it has become a sort of an  epidemic, not only in Pakistan but
in practically every Muslim community  that exists.

Misconception # 1:
The night of the 15th of Shabaan should be singled out  for worship, prayer,
etc.

Clarification:
Our best example and role model is the Prophet (Sal Allaahu  Alayhi wa Sallam)
and he never, ever singled out this night for  worship or qiyaam nor did his
Sahaba.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz  said:"There is no saheeh hadeeth concerning the night of the
fifteenth  of Shabaan. All the ahaadeeth that have been narrated concerning
that
are mawdoo (fabricated) and daeef (weak), and have no basis. There is  nothing
special about this night, and no recitation of Quraan or prayer,  whether alone
or in congregation, is specified for this night. What  some of the scholars
have
said about it being special is a weak opinion.  It is not permissible to single
it out for any special actions. This is  the correct view."
(Fataawa Islamiyyah,  4/511)

read more
Laylat al-Nusf min  Shabaan should not be singled out for worship
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/8907

________________________________

Misconception # 2:
There  are special prayers to be offered on this night.

Clarification:
The truth of the matter  is that there are NO special prayers to be offered on
this night  specifically. And all those ahaadeeth giving you long lists of
special  formulas that are "supposed to guarantee you Allaahs forgiveness and
Jannah" are all fabricated, false and innovations in our Deen. If there  were
such prayers, the Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alayhi wa Sallam) would have  told us
about them and we would have had evidence of him and the Sahaba  doing it.

________________________________

Misconception # 3:
Allaah  descends to the first heavens on this night to forgive us.

Clarification:
Allaah’s  descending to the first heaven does not only happen   on the night of
the fifteenth of Shabaan. Rather it happens every  single night of the year.

The Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said: "Every night when it is the
last third of the  night, our Lord, the Superior, the Blessed,descends  to the
nearest heaven and says: Is there anyone to invoke Me that I may  respond to
his
invocation? Is there anyone to ask Me so that I may  grant him his request? Is
there anyone asking My forgiveness so that I  may forgive him?. " (Bukhaari)

Thus, when Abd-Allaah  ibn al-Mubaarak was asked about the descent of Allaah on
the night of  the fifteenth of Shabaan, he said to the one who asked him: “O
weak one!  The night of the fifteenth?! He descends every night!”

read more
Does Allaah come down  to the first heaven on the night of the fifteenth of
Shabaan?

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/49678

________________________________

Misconception # 4:
This is  the night when our fate, lifespan, and provisions are decreed.

Clarification:
Some people think that  the "blessed night" (laylatim-mubarakah) mentioned in
Surah ad-Dukhaan  (44): 3, refers to the night of 15th Shabaan, when Allah
decrees our  lifespan, provisions and fate. In fact, they even pray 6 rakahs, 2
for  each of these things. However, all that is fabricated and far, far away
from the Sunnah. And, in reality, the "blessed night" mentioned in Surah
ad-Dukhaan, actually is referring to Laylatul Qadr that comes in  Ramadhaan.
(Tafseer Ibn Kathir of Surah al-Qadr)

________________________________

Misconception # 5:
One  should fast on the day of the fifteenth.

Clarification:
Here again, there is no  saheeh reports that tell us that the Prophet (Sal
Allaahu Alayhi wa  Sallam) or his Sahaabah ever picked this day specifically to
fast. The  Sunnah of the Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alayhi wa Sallam) was to fast
most
of  this month and not just the 15th. However, if the fifteenth of Shabaan
coincides with a Monday or Thursday, or with the three white days or if a
person is generally fasting, without associating seeking extra rewards  to
fasting this specific day, then it is allowed. (Sheikh Muhammed Salih
Al-Munajjid)

________________________________

Misconception # 6:
This is  the night when the souls of departed ones return to their families.

Clarification:
Here again, some people  misunderstand the ayaat in Surah al-Qadr and think
that
the "sending  down of the Ruh" as mentioned in this Surah refers to the souls
of
dead  people returning to see their families, even though it refers to Jibreel
(Tafseer Ibn Kathir). And that is why we see women preparing the  sweets,
the Halwas and other "goodies" for the souls of their loved  ones.

Not only is that in  itself an erroneous, deviant belief and bidah, but to
believe that the  souls of the dead can return back to the world and meet/see
their  relatives is also totally incorrect and false. The teachings of the
Quraan and the Sunnah clearly state that the souls of the dead do not return
back to the world. Besides, they dont even eat the Halwas. It is  actually you
who eats it!

________________________________

Misconception # 7:
Visiting graveyards especially this night is something  good.

Clarification:
Although the Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alayhi wa Sallam) encouraged  visiting
graves,
he forbade singling out any day or night for any kinds  of good deeds if it is
not prescribed in the Shareeah. And he did not  specifically visit the
graveyard
on the night of the 15th of Shabaan.  The hadeeth of Aisha that mentions that
the Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alayhi  wa Sallam) visited the graveyard this night is
not authentic and thus  does not have any proof for visiting graves
specifically
on this night  of Shabaan.

________________________________

Misconception # 8:
Even if the ahaadeeth about worship on this night are  weak,
one can still do it.

Clarification: The correct scholarly view is that weak  ahaadeeth should not be
followed at all, even if they speak of righteous  deeds or of targheeb and
tarheeb (promises and warnings). The saheeh  reports are sufficient and the
Muslim has no need to follow the daeef  reports.

Shaykh Ahmad Shaakir said: "There is no difference between  rulings or
righteous
deeds; we do not take any of them from daeef  reports, rather no one has the
right to use any report as evidence  unless it is proven to be soundly narrated
from the Messenger of Allaah  (Sal Allaahu Alayhi wa Sallam) in a saheeh or
hasan hadeeth."
 read more
Should he fast on the fifteenth of Shabaan even if the hadeeth  is da’eef?
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/49675

________________________________

Misconception # 9:
Look at all those people doing it. How can they all be  wrong?

Clarification:
The Muslim is supposed  to refer to Allaah and His Messenger (Sal Allaahu
Alayhi
wa Sallam)  Sunnah, if there is any confusion or dispute about matters and NOT
what  the rest of the world is doing.

“O you who believe! Obey Allaah and obey  the Messenger and those of you who
are
in authority. (And) if you differ  in anything amongst yourselves, refer it to
Allaah and His Messenger,  if you believe in Allaah and in the  Last Day. That
is better and more suitable for final determination [al-Nisaa 4:59]

Shaykh  Ibn Jibreen said: "These reports (about worship and fasting an the 15th

of Shabaan) became very well known in some countries which were  overwhelmed by
ignorance; One should not be deceived by the large  numbers of ignorant people
who do these things."

________________________________

The REAL Sunnah regarding  Shabaan:

If you  truly and sincerely want to please Allaah and do deeds that will be
acceptable to Him, then follow the REAL Sunnah of the  Prophet (Sal Allaahu
Alayhi wa Sallam). Here is what is proven in the  authentic sunnah:

1.   Fast most of this month as much as you can.

Aaishah RA   said: “I never saw the Messenger of Allaah  fasting for an entire
month except in Ramadaan, and I never saw him fast  more than he did in
Shabaan.” (Bukhaari, Muslim).

2. However, if you are weak or do not fast  habitually and feel that this nafil
fasting may be a hindrance to your  obligatory fasting in the month of
Ramadhaan, then the person may stop  the nafil fasting in the last few days of
this month. And for that  person, the Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alayhi wa Sallam)
said:
“When Shabaan is half over, do not fast.” (saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh
al-Tirmidhi).

3. If you have fasts left over from last Ramadhaan to make up,  then hurry up
and do so in this month of Shabaan before the next  Ramadhaan comes. It is not
permissible to delay missed fasts until after  the following Ramadhaan, except
in cases of necessity (such as a valid  excuse that continues between the two
Ramadaans).

Aaishah  RA said: 'It used to be that I had days to make up  for Ramadhaan and
would not be able to do so except in Shabaan.” [Bukhaari]

Must   Watch:
Merits & Innovations of The Month of  Shabaan (approx 30mins)
- Dr. Abdul Majid Ali
http://blip.tv/file/1136811/

As-salaam Walekum
Adil Khan
Bombay.
  Permission   is granted to circulate among private individuals and groups, to
post  on Internet sites and to publish in  full text and subject title in
not-for-profit publications.