In the name of Allah, the Most-Merciful, the All-Compassionate

"May the Peace and Blessings of Allah be Upon You"

Praise be to Allaah, we seek His help and His forgiveness. We seek refuge with
Allaah from the evil of our own souls and from our bad deeds. Whomsoever Allaah
guides will never be led astray, and whomsoever Allaah leaves astray, no one
can
guide. I bear witness that there is no god but Allaah, and I bear witness that
Muhammad is His slave and Messenger.

Bismillah Walhamdulillah Was Salaatu Was Salaam 'ala Rasulillah
As-Salaam Alaikum Wa-Rahmatullahi Wa-Barakatuhu

Fiqh: Sawm or Siyaam (Fasting)

Part 6: Actions Which Nullify the Fast

By Saleem al – Hilaalee alee Abdul Hameed[1]

and Hafiz Salah- ud – Din Yusuf[2]

 posted by Imran Ayub.

1. Actions Which Nullify the Fast

Things that can break the fast are only considered to do so if the following
three conditions apply if:

        1. A person knows that it breaks the fast and is not ignorant;
        2. He is aware of what he is doing and has not forgotten that he is
fasting;
        3. He does it of his own free will and is not forced to do it.[3]

There  are many things which a fasting person must avoid since if he commits
them during the day in Ramadaan his fast will be broken and thus be  added to
his sins, and they are:[4]

________________________________

1.1 Eating and drinking deliberately

Allaah, the Most High, Says: “…  and eat and drink until the white thread
(light) of dawn appears to you  distinct from the black thread (darkness of
night), then complete your  Sawm (fast) till the nightfall. …”[5]

Therefore,  it is known that fasting is abstaining from eating and drinking, so
if  the fasting person eats or drinks then he has broken his fast. This
applies
only to the one who does so consciously, and not to the one who  does it
forgetfully or accidentally, or is forced to do it.[6]

Narrated Aboo Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him): The Prophet (peace be
upon him) said, "If  somebody eats or drinks forgetfully then he should
complete
his fast,  for what he has eaten or drunk, has been given to him by Allaah."[7]

Narrated Ibn Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him): The Prophet (peace be
upon
him) said: “Allaah has excused for my Ummah mistakes, forgetfulness and what
they are forced to do.”[8]

________________________________

1.2 Making oneself Vomit intentionally

Narrated Aboo Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him): The Prophet (peace be
upon him) said: “Whoever  cannot help vomiting does not have to make up the
fast, but whoever  makes himself vomit deliberately, let him make it up.”[9]

read more
Does Vomitting break the Fast
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LoveIslam_LiveIslam/message/714

________________________________

1.3 Menstruation (hayd) and after – birth bleeding (nifaas)

When  a woman begins to menstruate or begins after – birth bleeding during  the
day of Ramadaan, whether it is at the start or the end of the day  then her
fast
is broken and she must make up by fasting another day in  place of it, and if
she were to continue fasting it would not count.[10]

Narrated Aboo Saeed Al-Khudree (may Allaah be pleased with him):  Once Allaahs
Apostle went out to the Musalla (to offer the prayer) Id-al-Adha or Al-Fitr
prayer.

Then he passed by the women and said, "O women! Give alms, as I have seen that
the majority of the dwellers of Hell-fire were you (women)."

They asked, "Why is it so, O Allaahs Apostle ?"
He replied, "You  curse frequently and are ungrateful to your husbands. I have
not seen  anyone more deficient in intelligence and religion than you. A
cautious  sensible man could be led astray by some of you."

The women asked, "O Allaahs Apostle! What is deficient in our intelligence and
religion?"

He said, "Is not the evidence of two women equal to the witness of one man?"
They replied in the affirmative.

He said, "This is the deficiency in her intelligence. Isnt it true that a woman
can neither pray nor fast during her menses?"

The women replied in the affirmative.
He said, "This is the deficiency in her religion."[11]

Dr.  Muhammad al – Jibaaly explains the meaning of this hadeeth as follows:

a)  Allaah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) described the woman as being
mentally deficient in comparison with the man. This should not be taken  out of
context. Her deficiency is derived from the fact that Allaah, the  Most High,
requires two female witnesses in the place of one male, so  that one of them
would possibly remind the other if she forgets (See al-Baqarah 2:282).  This
“forgetting” is caused by the woman usually being more emotional  than the man,
and more involved in the emotional than the man, and more  involved in the
household affairs and less in the affairs of the outside  world. Thus, the
Prophet (peace be upon him) statement is an expression  of a clear difference
between the man and woman nature. It emphasizes  that, even though she is
considered more emotional and less  “intellectual”, and he is considered less
emotional and more  “intellectual”, she still can defeat him in his own arena!

b)  Similarly, the womans description of being religiously deficient is
explained by that she does not pray or fast during her menses. Thus, it  is
again to indicate that, even though the man is supposedly in a  stronger
position of being religious because he prays and fasts more,  the woman can
still overpower him!”[12]

The  order to make up for it by fasting other days is reported in the
following
hadeeth: Narrated Muaadhah (may Allaah be pleased with her): A  woman asked
Aaishah (may Allaah be pleased with her), "Should I offer the prayers that
which
I did not offer because of menses"
Aaishah (may Allaah be pleased with her)  said, "Are  you from the Harooraa (a
town in Iraq?) We were with the Prophet and  used to get our periods but he
never ordered us to offer them (the  Prayers missed during menses)." Aaishah
(may Allaah be pleased with her) perhaps said, "We did not offer them."[13]

Harooraawas a town two miles away from Koofah. They held the views of the
Khawaarij (an extreme misguided sect). They had a habit to oppose the Sunnah
with their own opinion and analogy.[14]

read more
Rulings on Fasting For Women
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LoveIslam_LiveIslam/message/719

________________________________

1.4 Injections containing Nourishment

This  is giving nourishment intravenously so that it reaches the intestine,
with the intention of nourishing a sick person. This breaks the fast  since it
involves entering nourishment into the stomach.[15]

Also  if the injection does not reach the intestine but reaches the blood –
stream then it likewise breaks the fast since it is being used in place  of
food
and drink. It often happens that sick people in a coma for a  long while are
fed
with the like of those drips containing glucose and  saline solution and the
same goes for the inhalers which those who  suffer from asthma use – they also
break the fast.[16]

Injections  that are not given to replace food and drink but are used to
administer  medications such as penicillin and insulin, or tonics, or
vaccinations,  do not break the fast, regardless of whether they are
intra-muscular or  intravenous.[17]But to be on the safe side, all these
injections  should be given during the night.[18]

read more
He needs to have an injection into a vein , will that affect his fast?

________________________________

1.5 Sexual intercourse

Narrated  Aboo Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him): While we were sitting

with the Prophet (peace be upon him) a man came and said, “O Allahs Apostle! I
have been ruined.”

Allahs Apostle (peace be upon him) asked what was the matter with him. He
replied “I had sexual intercourse with my wife while I was fasting.” Allahs
Apostle (peace be upon him) asked him, “Can you afford to manumit a slave?”

He replied in the negative.
Allahs Apostle asked him, “Can you fast for two successive months?”
He replied in the negative.
The Prophet (peace be upon him) asked him, “Can you afford to feed sixty poor
persons?”

He replied in the negative.
The  Prophet (peace be upon him) kept silent and while we were in that  state,
big basket full of dates was brought to the Prophet .

He (peace be upon him) asked, “Where is the questioner?”
He replied, “I (am here).”
The Prophet (peace be upon him) said (to him), “Take this (basket of dates) and
give it in charity.”

The man said, “Should  I give it to a person poorer than I? By Allah; there is
no family  between its (i.e. Medina's) two mountains who are poorer than I.”

The Prophet smiled till his pre-molar teeth became visible and then said, “Feed
your family with it.”[19]

Imaam Ash – Shawkaanee said, “There  is no disagreement that sexual intercourse
breaks the fast if it is  done deliberately. However, if it is done by one due
to forgetfulness  then some scholars make it the same as one who eats and
drinks
forgetfully.”[20]

Purposeful  ejaculation of semen invalidates ones fast. Unintentional
ejaculation  which occurs by a wet dream will not in validate the fast, because
this  action is something beyond ones control and choice, contrary to the
former case.[21]

read more
Ruling on Wet Dreams
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LoveIslam_LiveIslam/message/48

1.6 Taking Blood

In  the case where someone has lost blood due to an injury or a wound, if  he
is
given blood to replenish his blood supply, then his fast will be  broken.
However, the mere loss of blood does not break the fast.[22]

And  It is Only Allaah Who grants success. May Allaah Exalt the mention of  His
slave and Messenger Muhammad (peace be upon him), and render him,  his
household
and companion safe from Evil.