On Sun, Jun 09, 2019 at 01:02:25PM +1000, Cameron Simpson wrote:
That isn't what I want, and I have $reverse_realname=no in my own config. But I agree with the change.

Thanks. I appreciate feedback before approaching tweeks to old behavior like this. I'll wait a few days to give others time to respond before making the change.

Now I just need to see why my config doesn't do what I desire - insert my preferred $realname in my replies...

The $realname is not used unless the From header is missing the name part. When $reverse_name is checked, if it finds a match, the personal part will be cleared out (unless $reverse_realname is set).

But if it doesn't find a match, then later on the value of $from or a my_hdr will be used. If those have a name part, they will disable the $realname setting, yet further below.

The flow is pretty complicated, and I get confused looking at it everytime. I added a section to the manual <http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/#compose-flow> but I'm not sure if it helps.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy