On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 12:26:47PM +0200, rear1019 wrote:
The ticket assumes that both $reverse_name and $reverse_realname are set. In this configuration mutt should reuse the To: header of the message replied to as-is in the reply’s From: header, even if the name is empty.

The documentation certainly says "as-is", so from that side I support you.

However there are two other factors here, intention of the patch and precedence.

The initial commit 8bdc339d was implemented as a modification of existing behavior: the ability to strip out the personal ("realname") field when $reverse_name is set. The commit message is short, but I imagine the idea was to *not* accept the realname field, but still have the ability to reply using the address sent to. The inverse is not the same thing as *always* using the realname field even if missing.

A further issue is the age of the option and behavior: the commit was made in March 2000.

If I adjust the documentation, I doubt there will be any complaints. But if I adjust the behavior, it is almost certain some users will notice and complain vociferously. So, after more thought, I am leaning toward adjusting the documentation.

Obtaining the behavior you desire can be accomplished by unsetting $realname and instead putting the name inside the various $from / my_hdr settings you use.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy