On 2020-08-11 22:29:41 -0500, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 02:40:16AM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > On 2020-08-06 18:40:50 -0500, Derek Martin wrote:
> > > Are you serious, Vincent?  I'm pretty sure you well know that this is
> > > a horrible idea, clearly contrary to best security practices, that no
> > > competent sysadmin managing servers holding anything vaguely sensitive
> > > would ever allow on a multi-user system (and we've already established
> > > that systems only ever used by one human render the configurable umask
> > > moot). This is system security 101 (e.g. SANS GSEC). Users to
> > > usernames are 1:1.
> >
> > This is complete nonsense.
>
> I agree; everything you said that followed IS complete nonsense.
> The subversion example is a special case of an application that you
> use through a web server, that has its own security implications.

Wrong! Subversion does not need a web server. The simplest way is
via "file:" URLs, which is precisely what is discouraged. The
recommended solution for a personal repository is the following:

  https://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2008-08/0993.shtml

I quote: "[...] specify the username for the svnserve user that isn't
the same as your own account name on that box."

So, the user has 2 accounts: the normal one and the one dedicated
to Subversion repository operations.

> It's nothing like using multiple users on your system to do different
> tasks, like reading your e-mail with one user, and then handling
> attachments with a different one.

Correction: reading e-mail and handling attachments with one uid,
but also being able to access saved attachments with another uid.

FYI, the same kind of thing can nowadays be done via a sandbox, and
this is the reason why firejail was written, for instance. There's
the same idea of main environment and restricted environment.

Note: Even without a sandbox, one does not absolutely need to make
attachments group accessible. The main account could do a SSHFS mount
of the directory that contains the saved attachments. But allowing
to control the permissions of the attachments inside Mutt would avoid
the need for SSHFS.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vinc...@vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>