On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 11:22:33AM -0600, Aaron Poffenberger wrote:
I know this is related to Message-ID because if I go into muttrc(5)
and put `set hostname="example.com"` and send again to
u...@sbcglobal.net, the message goes through without issue.

Well, setting $hostname can affect other things too.

Without the patch, if you *just* change your $message_id_format to "<%z...@example.com>" you are saying it goes through. Are you using $smtp_url or a local MTA? Are there any other possible variables?

The behavior you are describing is highly unusual, as the MTA is usually just looking at the EHLO and envelope addresses.

Also, as noted in my original, setting the fqdn of the Message-ID to
the fqdn of the From address make sense. When I'm sending email from
my laptop through gmail.com, the Message-ID picks-up the fqdn of my
laptop rather than using gmail.com.

The purpose of the Message-ID is to be unique. Setting to the RHS to the local machine reduces the scope of randomness needed on the left side. There's no need or sense behind using the from domain.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy