On 2021-11-22 10:38 -0800, Kevin J. McCarthy <ke...@8t8.us> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 12:06:29PM -0600, Aaron Poffenberger wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, setting $hostname can affect other things too.
> > >
> > > Without the patch, if you *just* change your $message_id_format to
> > > "<%z...@example.com>" you are saying it goes through.  Are you using
> > > $smtp_url
> > > or a local MTA?  Are there any other possible variables?
> >
> > I use msmtp:
> >
> > set sendmail=/usr/local/bin/msmtp
> >
> > In my case just setting hostname was enough to fix it.
> >
> > Setting message_id_format would probably work as well, but it would
> > also mean all emails sent through other email domains would have
> > Message-IDs from a different domain. In my case I send from 5
> > different email domains.
>
> I understand, but I wasn't asking you to make a permanent change to your
> configuration; just to try setting the $message_id_format directly as I
> instructed without touching hostname (or anything else).
>
> As I and others in the thread have said, what you are describing makes no
> sense, so we'd like more cooperation verifying and helping to debug the
> behavior.
>
> > > The behavior you are describing is highly unusual, as the MTA is usually
> > > just looking at the EHLO and envelope addresses.

> > > The purpose of the Message-ID is to be unique.  Setting to the RHS to the
> > > local machine reduces the scope of randomness needed on the left side.
> > > There's no need or sense behind using the from domain.
> >
> > Mail.app uses <GUID>@<from fqdn>. The Google web interface uses
> > <hash>@mail.gmail.com. Notifications come from
> > <hash>@notifications.gmail.com.
>
> Sorry, I misspoke.  I meant simply there is no *need* to use the from domain
> in the RHS.  I don't believe Mutt's randomness for the LHS is sufficient to
> encompass a large domain by default, so would still be opposed to this.
>
> --
> Kevin J. McCarthy
> GPG Fingerprint: 8975 A9B3 3AA3 7910 385C  5308 ADEF 7684 8031 6BDA

I'm happy to try changing configuration using an unpatched version,
but I have to be careful sending too many test messages to
ATT/sbcglobal.net. They have an itchy RBL trigger.

I'm curious what you and the other say changes in the headers under
the various conditions of setting hostname or message_id_format.

The only changes I'm seeing in the headers when hostname is set is the
fqdn of the Message-ID.

Attached are three emails I sent from an unpatched mutt through my
gmail account. Each Subject line and body describes the changes made.

The emails are as stored by mutt using "set record=+Sent" and as
delivered to the MTA. The emails were sent from mutt, through msmtp,
to smtp.gmail.com via the Submission port, so this was MUA to MTA.

As you can see, the three versions differ only in the fqdn of the
Message-ID.

I understand the incredulity. I've been running email servers for more
than 20 years. I've never seen a recipient domain bounce emails
because of a reverse-look-up failure of the fqdn of the Message-ID.

Cheers,

--Aaron