On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 06:22:26PM +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2022-01-12 14:40:38 -0600, Derek Martin wrote:
> > FWIW (particularly with this fixed) I think hdrdefault is redundant,
>
> I don't think it is. IMHO, hdrdefault means the color when no other
> rules match. If you use "color header ... .", it would override
> other rules earlier in the list.

I'll first point out that this is entirely a semantic argument, not a
technical one. I've already said I don't think this should have any
bearing on whether this get fixed, for whatever that's worth.

"Redundant" has a number of meanings, the relevant one here being "(of
words or data) able to be omitted without loss of meaning or
function."[1]

So...  The only difference between this and hdrdefault is that
hdrdefault's order does not matter.  This is a very minor difference,
and the distinction disappears so long as you provide the "." rule
first, just as you must already do with send-hook and every other
thing mutt provides with similar semantics, which don't have explicit
default keywords.  Users familiar with other similar Mutt features
should and would expect that, and in any case it should be likewise
documented.

Thus hdrdefault can be omitted by ensuring that a "." rule appear
first in the list of rules, without loss of function (assuming of
course that this were fixed, as I previously said): Therefore it is
redundant, by definition.  If you want to argue that redundant means
something different, please feel free to contact the fine folks at
Oxford.  In any case this is precisely the meaning I intended when I
wrote it.

-=-=-

[1] Google's dictionary, provided by Oxford Languages.
https://www.google.com/search?q=redundant&ei=3ZfgYceaNIOC-QaBnZfQCw&ved=0ahUKEwiH_bOq1K_1AhUDQd4KHYHOBboQ4dUDCA4&uact=5&oq=redundant&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBwgAELEDEEMyBwgAELEDEEMyCAgAEIAEELEDMggIABCABBCxAzIFCAAQgAQyBQgAEIAEMgUIABCABDIFCAAQgAQyBQgAEIAEMgUIABCABDoHCAAQRxCwAzoHCAAQsAMQQzoICAAQ5AIQsAM6EAguEMcBENEDEMgDELADEEM6CgguEMgDELADEEM6CAguELEDEIMBOgUILhCABDoICC4QgAQQsQM6EQguEIAEELEDEIMBEMcBENEDOg4ILhCABBCxAxDHARCjAjoFCC4QsQM6BQgAEJECOgQIABBDOgUILhCRAjoECC4QQzoRCC4QsQMQgwEQxwEQ0QMQkQI6CAguELEDEJECOgoILhDHARCvARBDOgcIABDJAxBDSgQIQRgASgQIRhgBUPQFWPYSYP8TaAFwAngAgAFTiAHbBJIBATmYAQCgAQHIARLAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz

-=-=-=-=-