On Sat, Feb 13, 1999 at 07:57:54AM -0500, Jeremy Blosser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ok I really didn't want to say this out loud, but /I'm/ getting tired of
> this thread, which IMO is the most 'spam' I've seen through this list next
> to bounce messages.

I'm getting tired of it too, and will drop it after this post unless I
have something new to say.  :-)

> Daniel Eisenbud [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> > mutt-dev _has_ to be open or at least have legitimate posts from
> > non-subscribers forwarded to it in a timely manner.  Why?  Because every
>
> You really have yet to show that this is not happening.  TLR gets all
> bounces as well as the list maintainer, do you really think he's just going
> to ignore legitimate bug reports/etc just because they aren't from mutt-dev
> subscribers?
>
> [snip]
>
> > Or if the list maintainer is willing to commit to forwarding all
> > unapproved legitimate posts to the list in a timely manner, I will be
> > satisfied and shut up.  Posts of mine from another address have _simply_
> > _disappeared_ in the past, and _that_ is not acceptable.
>
> Ah, so there's the rub.  Some of /your/ posts have disappeared.  And of
> COURSE those must have been worthwhile, or at least of course it was the
> list maintainers job to forward them for you.  How about since you're
> already on the list it's your job to make sure you send from the right
> address?  You're a mutt developer, that's certainly not a skill that's
> beyond you.

This was when I had just rejoined the list.  It was my first attempted
post in many months.  So once I figured out that was what was going on,
I posted from the address I subscribed from, no problem.  _But_ my
original post did just silently disappear for a week or so.  Since then
I do make sure my mail gets through etc etc, and also Steve knows that I
know how to get mail to the list, so he'd have a perfectly good excuse
to not bother quickly forwarding it to the list.  I'm basing my whole
objection on the fact that clearly sometimes messages from unknown
addresses have not gone through quickly.  Steve said that he usually
forwards interesting things.  So this is something, but I still think it
was nice that users could quickly and easily get in touch with the whole
development team in the past.  Also, I gather that TLR gets unapproved
posts, so presumably he either fixes the bugs or posts about the problem
or forwards the message.  So I guess I will chill out about the whole
thing, but I still disagree.

> Maybe he has better things to do than making sure the
> subscribers know where to send posts from.  I certainly agree that not
> having a bounce message to let you know you foobared is no good, but that
> has been changed now.  I'm on a lit-discussion list that always has people
> sending from the wrong address.  If the maintainer has time, he forwards it
> to the list.  If not, the bounce message lets them know they messed up and
> how to fix it.  That's on a list full of AOLers, etc, who I'd expect to
> have problems figuring that out.  But I'd think people on mutt-dev could
> handle it, even if they forget occassionally.

I'm not worried about people posting from the wrong address.  I'm
_totally_ fine with mutt-users being completely closed to people who are
not subscribed, especially if they get a bounce, which it can now easily
be set up to do, because it is at least that way for mutt-dev.  But
unapproved people sending mail to mutt-dev should not get a bounce
telling them to subscribe, because a lot of them are not on the list and
don't want to be, because they're just doing us all a favor by filing a
bug report, and aren't actually developers.

> Daniel, I really do not want to try to flame you by any means.  I know you
> have done a /whole lot/ for Mutt code-wise, and I have not.  Nor do I want
> to deny that this issue perhaps needs some more thought.  But I am getting
> tired of the noise.  The maintainer and primary developer have obviously
> heard your concerns and continue to do things another way.  Can we please
> get back to Mutt?

Actually, TLR said that he would prefer to have the lists open.  But
he's not running the lists, Steve Kennedy is.  I will be glad to be one
of the people who gets unapproved mails and bounces them to the list --
though perhaps what happened to me was a fluke, and all of the
unapproved mail (perhaps there's not much?) does get forwarded to the
list quickly, and I should just shut up?  But neither of the people who
get the unapproved mail have stepped up and said this is the case, or I
would have shut up long ago.  So I will shut up now, but Steve, if you
are too busy to do this all the time (which I completely understand and
sympathize with) please take my offer to be one of the moderators
seriously.

> And if you feel the need to flame me, please temper it with the fact in
> mind that my cat just woke me up after a few hours' sleep to let me know
> she was having kittens ;)

I do not in fact feel the need to flame you.  And congratulations to
your cat!  :-)

-Daniel

--
Daniel Eisenbud