Hi, I just started using Mutt last night, coming from the Pine world.  I
think Mutt is awesome, I needed something that would allow me to edit
headers to my liking as well as do threading because I do support e-mail
for work.  Which brings me to the point of this message....

At work we use a product called "IMC" (Internet Message Center) to handle
our mail queues.  We have several products on which we do e-mail support,
and this splits the messages up by product, assigns tracking numbers, and
puts the messages into individual techs' mailboxes.  We then download the
messages, respond to the IMC box, and it sends our message to the end
user.

Long story short: I am looking for help on writing a regexp that will
maintain the threads in my messages.  As I'm sure everyone on this list
must know, there are plenty of mail clients out there that don't write the
"References" header into their outbound messages.  So, leaving
#strict_threads UNSET, I would normally be able to thread by subject.

However, the IMC machine writes a new tracking number into the Subject
line each time it receives a message.  On messages with
"References" headers this is fine because threading still works.  But when
the References are gone AND the subject changes slightly, threading gets
ruined.

I believe this can be corrected by a well-written regular expression, but
I'm not so good at that so I'm wondering if anyone can help.

For example, one message may look like this:

Subject: RE: [GeneralService] Word1 Word2 [IMS2000012500000368242002]

I will reply to it, then the customer will reply again, and the Subject
will change to this:

Subject: RE: [GeneralService] Word1 Word2 [IMS2000012500000368262914]

The only thing that changes is the tracking number.

I've tried the following:

set reply_regexp = "^(re|aw):[ \t]*[ \t]\[A-Z*0-9*]"

but that apparently doesn't work.

Can anyone supply a regexp that should handle this?  It would help SO
much.

Thanks!!