hi all.  thanks for the replies.  i got my dynamic header working (you
can see so in this message) before i received your replies.  i made
send-hook call "source".  i source'd a perl script which returned
"my_hdr blah blah".  if i knew that i could use backticks with my_hdr,
i would have done that.

the only problem is that after i finish writing a message and am
presented with the compose menu, i do not see my new header.  is there
a way to add header types that are shown at the compose menu, so that
i can see what my dynamic header is before sending a message?

thanks,
david