"Jeffrey L . Taylor" wrote:

> Buffy and Biff were/are slang names for generic yuppie scum.  Biff
> is *the* original program to notify a user about mail.

I remember having read ("Life with Unix" by somebody Ressler?) that Biff
was a dog who lived with its owner in Berkeley (in the beginning of the
1980s?). Biff used to bark at the mailman. Further down the hall from
lived some of the BSD-hackers, and they dedided to call the
mail-notification program "biff".

I guess buffy is a derivation of biff.

Sverre

--
Sverre Slotte  | Capital Mansion apt 3902 |  Phone  +86 10  64669187
               | 6 Xin Yuan Nan Road      |