> >  That was in m4/Makefile.*, and it's has been fixed for a while now.
>
> That's good to hear, too.  It appears that the fix may be only in the
> development branch though, as mutt-1.0-us/m4/Makefile still has the
> "sed ... $< ..." lines.

 That's right, I think this wasn't backfixed for 1.0. Easy to fix
 yourself, though :)

> Well, it still doesn't build with NetBSD's make. I think the problem
> lies in automake. I believe there is a flag you can set in automake to
> get it to avoid gnuisms, though.

 This is in 1.1.9:

$ grep AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS mutt-1.1.9/Makefile.am
AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = foreign

 IIRC it does work for me under NetBSD. What doesn't work, again IIRC,
 is 'make install DESTDIR=/foo'. make just drops the DESTDIR for some
 (but not all) targets.

 This was actually under OpenBSD, but I think I had the same problem
 with NetBSD, and I don't think the Makefile or automake is at fault.