Gary Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > >     CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -I/usr/include/curses_colr"
> > >     LIBS="$LIBS -lcur_colr"
> >
> > I have done this myself, and while the resulting Mutt does build, I
> > found that the color support does not work.  I haven't tried it lately,
> > though.  Do you get correct colors with this?
>
> I don't know--I've never tried to get colors to work in mutt.

Well, being the curious type, I just tried it, and the colors indeed
have problems.  I don't know if this is HP's curses' fault, or my
terminfo's fault, or my xterm's fault, but I do know that Mutt+{ncurses/
slang}+{this-xterm} = working colors, so I suspect the curses library.
But you are correct that Mutt will successfully compile when built this
way, because symbols such as COLOR_BLACK will become defined.  I guess
nobody has noticed that Mutt won't build with a curses library that
doesn't even comprehend colors?  Oh well.

> Many of the text applications I've seen that have used color have used
> it in a way that I found either not useful, distracting or hideous.

I shared your opinion of colors, until I tried it with Mutt.

> I've also avoided color as a means to convey information because it's
> usually lost when printed or photocopied and because several of my
> co-workers are color blind.

I agree that color ability should never be assumed in one's colleagues,
but I find that, for me, the color helps me to visually separate parts
of messages more easily than I otherwise would.  I can more easily scan
past quoted sections of text (because they are in a different color)
without accidentally missing new text that might have been added.  I am
certainly still able to, say, distinguish a message's headers from its
body, or quoted text from non-quoted, but the color simply makes the
process easier and less error-prone.

--
David DeSimone   | "The doctrine of human equality reposes on this:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |  that there is no man really clever who has not