| Well, the files have to be at least renamed, because mh requires the filenames
| be contiguous integers.

No it doesn't.  They usually are not.

| IIRC, the message flags are also stored inside the
| files, so mutt would have to rewrite the files to change the read, replied,
| etc flags.

It seems to me that mutt changes files that have not been read,
replied, or anything else.  That doesn't seem useful.

Mh doesn't store "read" flags in any messages files.  It uses the
sequence mechanism for that, which mutt has unfortunately stopped
supporting.

| It's not a bug in mutt.  mh is broken by design; try Maildirs instead.

In my experience mh works well enough, but mutt makes some incorrect
assumptions that have painful consequences.