Thomas Roessler writes:
| > In my experience mh works well enough, but mutt makes
| > some incorrect assumptions that have painful
| > consequences.
|
| Please look at the unstable branch (i.e., the
| just-released 1.1.9).  It should behave much better.

Actually 1.1.11 behaves very badly.  If you point mutt at an mh folder
and read exactly one message mutt reads and rewrites every message in
the folder, the worst possible behavior, totally unusable in a large
folder.  MH would read only that one file, and possibly write
.mh_sequences.  Mutt should handle mh folders exactly the way MH does,
or not claim to support mh folders at all.