At 10:04 PM EDT on May 26 David Champion generally semanticized from the world
of Null-A:
> On 2000.05.26, in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       "Rob Reid" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > You mean strip sigs from quoted text in a reply?  That's the editor's job
>
> I strenuously disagree.  I think we should rather say: it is the established
> judgement of the Mutt development team that stripping signatures from quoted
> text should be done by one's editor, not by Mutt.  I don't think that
> signature removal is obviously a designated task of any program, but that it
> is a matter of personal preference and of contextual convenience.

IIRC, that's why sig stripping was removed from mutt.  If the sig is passed to
the editor, the editor can do all sorts of things with it.  On the other hand,
putting "set noquote_sig" in /etc/Muttrc made it a more likely default behavior
for everyone, but mutt's philosophy is neither to include features better
accomplished by other programs nor to enforce netiquette over configurability.
If it were, quote_chars would be hardwired to "> "* and sig_sep (?) would be
hardwired to "-- " with any attempt to change them resulting in mutt forwarding
the perpetrator's address to a spammer.

* although supercite is a respectable alternative.

> I hate to be redundant, but the matter-of-factness above was disturbing.

I'm sorry you're upset, but the full quoted sig removal debate is in the
mailing list archives for anyones who cares enough to look.

--
"Smoke me a kipper, skipper; I'll be back for breakfast." - Red Dwarf's Ace
Robert I. Reid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>     http://astro.utoronto.ca/~reid/