On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 08:52:02PM +0100, Manuel Arriaga wrote:
-> Hi Mikko,
->
-> Thanks for the tip!
->
-> > This is pretty basic unix stuff, but I guess you have to learn it from
-> > somewhere. :-)  Put a & at the end of the (or any) command line, to put
-> > that command in "background".  eg.
-> >
-> >   emacs -f server-start &
-> (...)
-> > Sure.  This depends on which shell you're using, but each shell has a
-> > startup file that is run every time you log in.  For bash, it's .profile
-> > (or .bashrc, both are used and both work) in your home dir.  For tcsh
-> > and the like, it's .cshrc.  Putting the above command (with the &) in
-> > that file will run it every time you log in.
->
->
-> Unfortunately I tried it without success; I put
->
-> #!/bin/sh
-> emacs -f server-start &
->
-> into my ~/.profile (I just found out that my shell is called "bash"... :-) and
logged in again, but I get an error message saying
->
-> emacs: standard input is not a tty
-> [3]+  Exit 1                  emacs -f server-start

Try it without the shebang line (#!/bin/sh). Bash executes the script
itself, so you should not have a call to another shell process.

--

                -- C^2

No windows were crashed in the making of this email.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley