Hi,

At  3:52 PM EDT on June  1 Manuel Arriaga sent off:
> Unfortunately I tried it without success; I put
>
> #!/bin/sh
> emacs -f server-start &
>
> into my ~/.profile (I just found out that my shell is called "bash"... :-)
> and logged in again, but I get an error message saying
>
> emacs: standard input is not a tty
> [3]+  Exit 1                  emacs -f server-start
>
> But I seem to have understood something: running emacsclient on a virtual
> console isn't supposed to open a emacs window on the tty, is it? When I give
> the command
>
> emacs -f server-start
>
> at a virtual console, and in a different one call "edit" inside of mutt, mutt
> just says "Waiting for Emacs..."; the first times this happened I just sat
> there and pressed "Enter", but then I understood that that buffer (the
> message i wanted to edit, in this case) was opened in the tty I had ran emacs
> -f server-start! When I saved the buffer on that tty (with C-x-#) and
> returned to the mutt console, I had the message menu open (I don't know what
> to call it...:-) it is the screen you get after editing a message) and could
> send the message!
>
> But can't I use emacsclient to open an emacs window on *that* (i.e., where I
> am running mutt) tty? If this is so, that pretty much explains why I can't run
> the emacs-server in the backgroud, right? :-)

Right.  emacsclient just sends the message to the running emacs, whereever it
is.  I usually run emacsclient, emacs, and mutt in X, where it makes sense to
have mutt and emacs running in different windows but on the same screen.  It's
possible that gnuclient might be able to do exactly what you're requesting, but
I've never tried it.  I recommend jed as an editor if you're not using X.  It
emulates emacs very well and has a scripting language, but still starts up and
exits very quickly, so no client/server stuff is necessary.  It also has color
syntax highlighting in a tty, unlike GNU emacs.

HTH,

        Rob

--
"Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?"
   - Felix von Leitner, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>