At 11:02 PM EDT on June 20 Charles Curley sent off:
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 07:24:18PM -0700, Dale Morris wrote:
> > I've started using emacs as editor for mutt. I'm specified it in the muttrc
> > file and also have setup a script file(e-lisp) in /home/me/.mutt called
> > post.el which is a package for running emacs as an email editor with
> > mutt. It seems to be working fine, but I have a couple of questions.
>
> specify emacsclient as your editor, not emacs. When you go to edit an
> email, emacsclient will feed the file to an already running instance of
> emacs (it will not launch emacs for you). When you are done, hit C-x #,
> and move your focus back to mutt.

Just a slight correction: for some terribly important reason that I can't
recall right now, you should use C-c C-c to exit post, not C-x #, the usual
command for quitting emacsclient.

> > 2.) On the tool bar at the top of the emacs window, to the right of
> > Mule, is a category called Post.

> This is specific to the post.el file you mentioned, assuming that the file
> follows Emacs custom and is for a major mode called post mode.

That's exactly what it is, a menu for post.

> > also one for exiting "Save Message and Return from Post" (C-c C-c), which I
> > assume saves the compose buffer. But it doesn't close emacs, it just leaves
> > me in the *scratch* buffer and I have to go ahead and close it with the
> > C-xC-c command.

> It operates "correctly" for the client/server scheme I outlined above. You
> leave Emacs running, ready for the next message.

and with all your other buffers intact.  And I think it operates correctly for
people using straight emacs instead of emacsclient too; it encourages them to
use emacsclient, which unfortunately isn't as well known as it should be.  I
blame the documentation that comes with emacs - the developers have
concentrated on making emacs able to do everything, so although they made it
possible to easily use it with other programs to them other programs seem
irrelevant.  Anyway, if you INSIST on starting and killing emacs for each and
every email you send, C-xC-c should prompt you to save the message, then exit.
So C-cC-c is just a better way provided by post, and the same old way should
work.  I didn't put C-xC-c in the menu because I figured everyone already knows
how to use it.

> I have a copy of post.el here; I may try it some day. In my copious free
> time.

I know the feeling.

--
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you." -- C.G. Jung
Robert I. Reid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>     http://astro.utoronto.ca/~reid/