On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 12:30:55PM +0100, Conor Daly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I was thinking have having the laptop nfs share the mailfolders to the desktop,
> > since I assume that the laptop will always be with him...
>
> OK, that's fine so long as the desktop machine *isn't* receiving mail
> while the laptop is away.  My home server collects email about 6 times per
> day whether I'm there or not so that wouldn't work for me

    Well, as long as the home server is the only machine receiving mail
(i.e., you don't check with your laptop, too), you could keep your
downloaded mail and folders on your laptop and export them as an NFS
share to your desktop (as mentioned).  To handle mail that arrives when
the laptop is disconnected, try running a home machine as a POP3 server,
and then use fetchmail to get all new mail to the laptop when connected.
To check mail at home, make sure the laptop is up-to-date (i.e., has run
fetchmail recently) and then check mail normally, which will access your
mail folders on your laptop.

--
Bob Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 "For example, OS/360 devotes 26 bytes of the permanently