On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 10:25:47AM -0400 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Bob Bell thought:
> On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 12:30:55PM +0100, Conor Daly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
> > > I was thinking have having the laptop nfs share the mailfolders to the desktop,
> > > since I assume that the laptop will always be with him...
> >
> > OK, that's fine so long as the desktop machine *isn't* receiving mail
> > while the laptop is away.  My home server collects email about 6 times per
> > day whether I'm there or not so that wouldn't work for me
>
>     Well, as long as the home server is the only machine receiving mail
> (i.e., you don't check with your laptop, too), you could keep your
> downloaded mail and folders on your laptop and export them as an NFS
> share to your desktop (as mentioned).  To handle mail that arrives when
> the laptop is disconnected, try running a home machine as a POP3 server,
> and then use fetchmail to get all new mail to the laptop when connected.
> To check mail at home, make sure the laptop is up-to-date (i.e., has run
> fetchmail recently) and then check mail normally, which will access your
> mail folders on your laptop.

Nice, elegant, OH NO! I left the laptop at work!!!  What now??

Perhaps run an imap daemon and access that with the desktop if the laptop
isn't available...

--
Conor Daly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Domestic Sysadmin :-)