On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 09:01:42PM -0800, Trae McCombs wrote:

> One thing that I think would help not only me, but tons of others is
> something like this:
>
> mailbox 1           3 new messages
> mailbox 2          12 new messages
> mailbox 3           8 new messages
>

> Where you had the "status bar" that you could move up and down between
> mailboxes... and then you would get into the messages of that mailbox.

Although it doesn't give you the count you're after it sounds more or less
like you're asking for the screen you'll be presented with if you start mutt
with the "-y" switch ("man mutt" lists all the available switches).

If you want mutt to do this on startup you could create an alias or
something or stick this:

,----
| push "<change-folder>?<toggle-mailboxes>"
`----

at the end of your ~/.muttrc.

> I'd also think it would be cool to have some sort of key binding that
> would allow you to get back out to the main mailbox once deep in another
> mailbox so you wouldn't have to quit.

That's what the macro system is for. For example:

,----
| macro index "h" "<change-folder>!\n"
`----

choose the key of your choice (in the above "h" (for "home") would be the
key, look at the binding list (help screen) for the section of mutt in
question to see that you won't be overriding a useful binding), also
remember to define the macro for the pager and anywhere else that makes
sense.

Or, perhaps, when you say "main mailbox" you mean the initial display you're
talking about? If so you can use the macro system again. For example:

,----
| macro pager "y" "<sync-mailbox><change-folder>?<toggle-mailboxes>"
`----

with the above in place pressing "y" in the pager would take you back to the
screen you get when you do a "mutt -y".

> Sorry I'm such a lamer, especially if this is something easy to fix. If
> someone has the time, and can provide a .muttrc to accomplish this, or
> better still, what I need to toss into my .muttrc, I would be forever in
> your debt. :)

The debt is noted. :>

--
Dave Pearson:              | mutt.octet.filter - autoview octet-streams
http://www.davep.org/      | mutt.vcard.filter - autoview simple vcards