On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 10:33:36AM +0100, Jan Johansson wrote:
[snip]
> As I understand it vim can detect the type of text you are
> writing (like it does for syntax highlight) and choose options
> after that.

Yes, you could -- file type detection works either by filename extension
or, if that fails, by examining the first line or the first few lines in
the text.  I use that feature for source code editing ...

To use it for email ... you could edit $VIMRUNTIME/scripts.vim so it'd
detect that you were editing a mail message based on the initial line,
if you've got mutt configured correctly (the first line in the message
which I'm editing right now is the From: line which my message will
contain -- you could detect that or the equiv).

But that seems like more indirection than is useful...

cheers --

Ed