* Chris Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, 20010313 16:46 +0100:
[....]
> How do I get mutt to understand that 8-bit characters (well '£'
> anyway) are valid and shouldn't be changed at all?  I've tried
> setting the LANG and/or LC_CTYPE variables but this seems to have no
> effect.  What *exactly* should one set these variables to?  Should it
> be a locale such as 'uk' or should it be a character set such as
> 'iso-8859-1'?

I don't know about english locales, here's my setting. Just:

LC_ALL=de_DE

(see "locale -a")

A complete(?) list would be

LANG=de_DE
LC_CTYPE=de_DE
LC_NUMERIC=de_DE
LC_TIME=de_DE
LC_COLLATE=de_DE
LC_MONETARY=de_DE
LC_MESSAGES=de_DE
LC_PAPER=de_DE
LC_NAME=de_DE
LC_ADDRESS=de_DE
LC_TELEPHONE=de_DE
LC_MEASUREMENT=de_DE
LC_IDENTIFICATION=de_DE

but LC_ALL seems to override them all. Not all of the above are listed
in man locale(1). I don't remember where I got the others from, they're
output of a command I don't remember. :(

Andre Berger                                [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]