( Mär-27-2001 ) Horace G. Friend III <--:
> I like to work in a white on black console which is how I've set my
> console. But when I enter Vi when composing mail, I can hardly see the
> colored letters of Vi so I need a white bg during email composition.

Copy the systemwide mail.vim somewhere appropriate to you home
directory, then change the "hi whatever_keyword" to your disired color,
then source your own mail.vim.
This way you can stick to your disired white on black.
That's a quick fix. For the whole story read your documentation in
/usr/share/doc/vim or wherever this is kept. You are searching for a
directory called /doc/ containing the file syntax.txt which will be your
homework for today ;-)
--
Erika