Hello William!

On Tue, 15 May 2001, William Park wrote:

> On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 05:36:26PM +0200, Christoph Maurer wrote:
> > I've got a question concerning German Umlaute (ä,ö,ü) in headers of
> > a mail.  Mutt is able to show them in a correct way, if I receive
> > any mail containing correctly encoded Umlaute in the header. It is
> > also able to correctly encode such characters if i use them by
> > editing the headers in my preferred editor (i.e. vi) having the
> > $edit_headers variable set.
> >
> > But, in normal operation, I'd prefer to have $edit_headers unset and
> > would like to be able to enter characters like "ä", "ö" or "ü" in
> > the mutt dialog for entering recipients and subjects of a new mail.
> >
> > But on my system hitting an "ä" does not cause any action, hitting
> > "ü" returns a "_" and so on.
> >
> > Seems to be a problem with ncurses or so...
> > Can anybody help?
> >
> > My machine runs SuSE 7.1, the $LANG variable is set to "de_DE" and
> > the problems occurs under X as well as in text mode.
>
> './configure --enable-locale-fix' helped me to display raw 8bit on the
> terminal.

You doesn't do that. Use the right locale-setting in your
Shell or System-Environment.

For the german language you can use in your $HOME/.bashrc for example:

export LC_CTYPE="de_DE"

to get the german umlauts in a correct way.

But the question was a little bit different. German umlauts in
Mail-Headers are sometimes a bit broken because a few
Mail-Transport-Agents in the whole mailing system aren't 8-Bit
compatible. And that's the reason that the 8-Bit-Characters aren't
shown in that way which Christoph was asking for.

> Where can I find any doc on LANG variable?

In your locale catalog. Have a look at /usr/share/locale/locale.alias.

> If "de_DE" is for German, what code is for Korean?

Here I don't use that locale on my box. Maybe you will get it with
a export LC_CTYPE="ko" in your ~/.bashrc and a setting of
set charset="EUC-KR" in your $HOME/.muttrc.

bye - Wilhelm

--
   ._.   Wilhelm Wienemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  / _,\
  \,     To learn more visit => http://www.debian.org/