At 15:41 -0700 30 Oct 2001, Rob 'Feztaa' Park <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is that what mail would look like with it off? I guess the reason I
> don't have this problem has more to do with my mutt config than with my
> postfix config! I had my_hdr's setting the From: and Reply-To:
> headers, which would avoid that envelope_from problem altogether.

No, it wouldn't.  When $envelope_from is not set (the default), using
"my_hdr From:" will only set the From: header.  Same for the $from
setting.  The contents of the Reply-To: header are totally irrelevant.

The address that AOL and many other places check is the envelope sender.
This is often placed in the the "From " (note the space) line of mbox
folders, or possibly a Return-Path: header.  If $envelope_from is set,
mutt will attempt to use whatever address is in the From: header for
this as well.  If $envelope_from is not set, mutt relies on your MTA to
choose the envelope sender address by itself.

The intended use for $envelope_from is to allow people to fully vary the
address that they use, especially for posting to mailing lists that
check if the envelope sender is a subscriber.  Working around broken MTA
configs is only a somewhat nice side benefit.  But, even with this it's
still a good idea to fix the MTA config, since there may be other
programs on your system that send mail.

--
Aaron Schrab     [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.execpc.com/~aarons/
 To err is human, to forgive, beyond the scope of the Operating System.