On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 07:28:15PM -0500, David T-G wrote:
> Roman --
>
> ...and then Roman Neuhauser said...
> % >
> % > ...and then Roman Neuhauser said...
> % > %
> % > % is there a means to let mutt perform an action on the message it sends
> % > % out _when_ it sends it? All the documented hooks take place long before
> % >
> % > Not AFAIK.
> %
> %     Any plans to implement this feature?
>
> Not AFAIK.
>
> [I couldn't resist ;-]
>

> %
> % > % inserting of the signature until the moment the message goes off.
> % > temp file after the real editor completes.  Note that re-editing a file
> % > will cause duplicate signatures, so you might also tell your editor to
> % > find the sig_dashes and delete from there down before jumping back to
> % > the beginning of the message.
> %
> %     Yeah, I figured out it'd be probably left for vim to do this. Then
>
> Sounds good to me.
>

> %     again, (I'm no vim-hacker) there are at least three ways to quit
> %     from vim, saving the buffer, which means I'd have to noremap all of
>
> Why?
>

> %     them... Unless I'm missing a way to avoid this. Ok, time to mail
> %     [EMAIL PROTECTED] :)
>
> I think you are.  Set $editor in mutt to call vim and then append your
> signature, and in the vim call instead of just
>
>   vim +/^$
>
> do some magic which jumps to "^-- $", does a delete from there to the
> end, and then jumps back to the first /$^ in the file.
>

> %
> % > The code is left as an exercise for the reader ;-)
> %
> %     No problem. Thanks for the reply.
>
> Sure thing!

Mmm, this whole signature thing is really unsolveable.
For example, I am a strong believer in bottom-posting to threads,
or replying in context. An automatic signature at the bottom is then
fine.
However these evil people who top-post mean that unless you want to
complete addle the thread logic you also have to top post, in which
case a sig at the end is a little weird.

Since my sig is so simple and cookie-free I can always just type it
in somewhere I suppose .. :)

--
Regards
Cliff