On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 04:55:39PM +0100, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> > That's the point. Imagine someone you don't really care about.
> <snipped -- regretfully>
> Ok, that is a good explanation.
> It still does sound a little complex (since you have been the only
> "active" scorer to reply so far, it does not seem widely used).
well, at least not amongst mail reading people ... in usenet it's
used more often than with eMail ... but it has also its advantages
in a high volume email environment and helps deciding which mail is
important.

> Interesting though, I have a *prime* candidate for a person on a
> particular list (I won't name list or person, but it's no-one on
> this list .. unless he lurks..) whose messages I usually crudely filter into
> a mailbox called "bollocks". Unfortunately he sometimes appears cc'ed
> or to'ed or whatever on a subject I want to hear about. Sounds like
> scoring might help.
yes. and this is only one way to use scores.
You could also like different subjects, but prefer mails having both
subjects over those only having one of the subjects.

let's continue with the "Linux Kernel" stuff.
You're interested in anything about Linux.
And you're interested in anything about Kernels.
But most interestting are Linux Kernels.
so you give Linux a score of +1000, Kernel a score of +1000, and
everything having Linux and Kernel in the subject will get +2000
automaticly and you have them sorted as more important ...
And imagine you're also interested in BSD, but not that much as in Linux,
so you could give BSD a score of +500.
this would result in the following combinations:

Linux   +1000
BSD      +500
Kernel  +1000

==> Linux Kernel -> +2000
==> BSD Kernel -> +1500

> Mmm. food for thought.
ok. just to have some more food ... and your brain won't starve ... ,-))

--
Christian Ordig
Germany