Daniel, et al --

...and then Daniel Eisenbud said...
%
% On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 06:25:03PM -0500, David T-G
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
% >
% > ...and then Daniel Eisenbud said...
% > %
% > % On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 02:50:44PM -0500, David T-G
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
% > %
% > % This is what $hide_missing is for.  Set it.  But for getting rid of long
% >
% > But it was -- in all of the displays I pasted in!  For some threads in a
% > large mailbox I could see a difference with $hide_missing (oh how I
% > am starting to wish for vi-like shortcut settings :-) but for many
% > I couldn't and only for Nicolas' message (msg 10) in this test case.
%
% Right, but the specific scenario you described in that paragraph
% (keeping just one message from late in a thread) would be taken care of
% by $hide_missing.

Like my Nicolas example; hokay.

%
% > % I'll look into the thread-collapsing thing.
% >
% > Thanks.  BTW, I can't even collapse it manually, and if I'm not on the
% > first message (number 3) then my cursor jumps there when I try.
%
% This is consistent with my hypothesis of what was wrong.  The
% message-collapsing code is utter crap, IMHO, and I didn't have the

Ah :-)

% energy to rip it all out and rewrite it from scratch before, so I tried
% to just change what I needed to change, and I obviously missed this
% detail.  I bet it will be an easy fix (and I still do mean to rewrite
% the whole thing sometime.)

Good enough; thanks.  Your other message mentions a patch but I haven't
yet seen it (but I suddenly have lots of new messages in =F.mutt); will
this be tweaked in that, or will we wait for a complete rewrite?

%
% > % > subject (though Prahlad's message, interestingly enough, did not appear
% > No, wait a minute...  It should have the same parent reference as the
% > first message, right?  In the 1.3.24 picture there's no question mark --
% > even when I turn off $hide_missing.
%
% The question mark at the top of the thread is the parent of his message
% in 1.3.24.  Really.  Go look at the thread tree again -- his message is
% a sibling of the top message in the thread, which also has that question

Gotcha.  I was looking for the ? at his message, but I now see why it
should be above (as it is; you're right, of course).

%
% > % Hiding all the missing messages will make the thread display less
% > % comprehensible, since things that aren't siblings will be grouped
% > % together in a way that looks like they're siblings, but they won't be
% >
% > Hmmm...  I suppose I can get the idea of how this would cause problems,
% > but I can't yet see an example.  But, as I see below, perhaps I won't
% > have to worry about that...
%
% For instance,
%
% 1 foo
% 2 |-?->bar
% 3 | `->baz
% 4 |->grault
% 5 `->quux
%
% if $sort_aux is set to date, it is possible that bar is before grault
% and quux, but baz is after both of them.  So with the question mark
% removed, the thread tree would look like
%
% 1 foo
% 2 |->bar
% 3 |->baz
% 4 |->grault
% 5 `->quux
%
% and baz would appear to be in the wrong place.  Additionally,

Why wouldn't it be

  1 foo
  2 |->bar
  3 | `->baz
  4 |->grault
  5 |->quux

instead?  Or is the answer simply "that's the way the code is written"?

Thanks for the example, though; I'm still working on it :-)

% next-subthread and previous-subthread won't appear to work quite right,
% though some of that may be that they haven't been quite properly adapted

Hmmm...  I don't use those, so that may be part of my lack of
understanding.

% to the new threading code -- I'll think a bit more about what they
% should do.  Part of the problem with these commands is that it's not
% entirely clear what the right thing for them to do is, even under
% simpler circumstances.

That makes sense.

%
% -Daniel
%
% --
% Daniel E. Eisenbud
% [EMAIL PROTECTED]
%
% "We should go forth on the shortest walk perchance, in the spirit of
% undying adventure, never to return,--prepared to send back our embalmed
% hearts only as relics to our desolate kingdoms."
%                                       --Henry David Thoreau, "Walking"

:-D
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]