On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 06:37:01AM -0500, David T-G
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> % 1 foo
> % 2 |-?->bar
> % 3 | `->baz
> % 4 |->grault
> % 5 `->quux
> %
> % if $sort_aux is set to date, it is possible that bar is before grault
> % and quux, but baz is after both of them.  So with the question mark
> % removed, the thread tree would look like
> %
> % 1 foo
> % 2 |->bar
> % 3 |->baz
> % 4 |->grault
> % 5 `->quux
> %
> % and baz would appear to be in the wrong place.  Additionally,
>
> Why wouldn't it be
>
>   1 foo
>   2 |->bar
>   3 | `->baz
>   4 |->grault
>   5 |->quux
>
> instead?  Or is the answer simply "that's the way the code is written"?
>
> Thanks for the example, though; I'm still working on it :-)

The answer is "because that would be even more of a lie."  Baz isn't a
child of bar.  I know we do this for duplicates, for lack of anything
better to do, but we mark it, at least.

-Daniel

--
Daniel E. Eisenbud
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"We should go forth on the shortest walk perchance, in the spirit of
undying adventure, never to return,--prepared to send back our embalmed
hearts only as relics to our desolate kingdoms."
                                        --Henry David Thoreau, "Walking"