John P. Verel wrote:

> I'm running Mutt 1.2.5i, using vim5.8 as editor.  I want to have it so
> vim does not leave temporary files when exiting.

remove 'set backup' from your .vimrc, and replace it with:
set nobackup

you want it to keep swap files (presumbably) - i forget what the option
is for that, although it should be listed in your global vimrc and in
the vimrc man page.... keeping swap files in the event of a crash is a
different option than keeping a backup file for everything you edit.

--
Experience -- a great teacher, but the tutition fees...