Thanks.  It works.  I used a modification of what you suggested.  Since
I want vim to make backup files when, say, writing code, I've set my
.muttrc editor line to:

set editor ="vim +/^$ +'set nobackup'"

The +/^$ opens the file at the first blank line.  The tricky bit for me
is that the set command needed the quotes around it to work.  Otherwise
it thought "nobackup" was a file name.  man vim said double quotes, but
the above seems to work fine.

John

--
John P. Verel
Living Proof That Low Tech Beats High Tech!