On 2002.01.07, in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
	"Nick Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yes I mean /like/ HTML, but *not* HTML as I dump anything of nature
> also. I guess my understanding of real ASCII text is mistaken. I thought
> that because I saw bold text in mails sent to me (back when I was
> exclusively using Eudora under Win) that I could do the same. I guess
> they were some kind of HTML thing.

You could use enriched text. It's documented in RFC 1563: ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1563.txt

It's HTML-like, without being HTML, and it could be what you've seen in Eudora. Eudora used to send enriched text when you applied styles, I think. Now it just sends HTML (badly), but it still can interpret enriched text (badly).

This message is in enriched text. Here's some text in boldfaced type. Here's italic. You can also do formatting -- you can

center text, and

right-justify it, and

align it evenly to both sides, although the line breaks get a little quirky. I suppose you need enough text to fill out at least two whole display lines to make this example work to any visible effect. Here's a little more noise, just to take up extra space for demonstration purposes.

You can also do color: red text, and green text, and blue text -- all eight ANSI text colors are supported in mutt, at least.

(Actually, I'm not entirely sure that mutt's enriched handler is handling this correctly. Colors and bold/italics work, but only with an external pager, not with the builtin pager. Left, center, and right alignments work in either, but full-flush alignment does not. Thomas, this seems like a bug, but this is the first time I've played with enriched text, and I could be off base. I'm using 1.3.24 at the moment.)

Watch what happens if you resize your viewing window and re-display the message! All enriched text is flowed by default.

I'm not sure what the best way to *create* enriched text is, though. Presumably you'd want some kind of graphicky editor, but I don't know squat about those.
--
 -D.	[EMAIL PROTECTED]	NSIT	University of Chicago