* Nick Wilson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> * On 21-01-02 at 14:40
> * Thomas Hurst said....
>
> > Being able to skip quotes is no excuse not to trim them; not caring
> > whether people will simply ignore your message because it appears to
> > have no content isn't either.
>
> How do you tell if you are sending to a blind user?

You don't; quoting properly has nothing to do with who you're sending
to, it's just basic email etiquette.  That it's easier for the blind to
read is just a consequence of the mail being generally easier to read.

My eyesight's fine, but I still find overquoting annoying and
unnecessary.

> I'm very poor sighted and as a result there are many things I wish
> people did that they don't that would make my life easier.

Such as?

Have you discovered the wonders of user CSS files that let you force
websites to use sensible font types/sizes and well contrasted colours?
:)

You can also use them to block a decent proportion of banner ads if
your browser's smart enough..

> However, if we spend all our time worrying about every minority
> problem/consideration we'll never get *anything* done :)

No, but basic email etiquette isn't a minority consideration; like
following W3C recommendations and RFC's, it benefits everyone.

> > Perhaps mutt should demand confirmation for sending messages with
> > more than 80% quoting..
>
> Nah, people gotta choose how they do thier stuff.

Then they can hit 'y', or put warn_overquoting = no in their .muttrc

Warning: Message contains 98% quotes in body. Send anyway? [Y/n]

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -  http://www.aagh.net/
-