On 2002.01.24, in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Mike Schiraldi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > also, since most people on the list don't know you in real life, all
> > they know is that you're the same person who has always been writing
> > email under that name and with that PGP key.  there's no real advantage
> > to doing this IMHO in most cases.
>
> I disagree -- if Thomas didn't sign all his messages, i could write a
> message to this list, pretending to be him, and say, "Hey, there's a problem
> with mutt. You should all immediately apply the following patch. And don't
> worry about checking to make sure that it's not a trojan horse; after all,
> i'm Thomas. You can trust me."

Thomas *doesn't* sign all his messages. I'm happy with that; he signs
patches and other messages which regard potential threats to mutt's code
base.

PGP certainly should be used when the message requires some trust. I
don't think you'll find many people (if any) arguing with that. What's
at issue is: when is trust required? Some feel that it's always required
to ever be useful; others think it's only required on occasion.

But we've been over it many times on this list, and perhaps it's time
to talk about Mutt. I apologize for posting on this subject, but the
incorrect information seemed to be a bit of a threat. :) (I'd sign this
message, but my key is currently expired.)

--
 -D.    [EMAIL PROTECTED]        NSIT    University of Chicago