Myrddin --

...and then J. Scott Dorr said...
%
% On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 11:51:38PM +0100, Maarten den Braber wrote:
% > * J. Scott Dorr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [020313 22:36]:
% > > Everything works just fine, -except- when it comes to the main/default mailbox
% > > into one of the other mailboxes before I get to ~/Mailbox, then the 'c'
% > > 'c'hanged to all the other mailboxes, read/marked/etc the new mail and -know-
% > > there's new mail in the ~/Mailbox).  That bugs me.
% >
% > Do you have some 'buffy' kind of program that checks ~/Mailbox?
%
% To the best of my knowledge, no.  Though I'm not sure how that would affect
% mutt's ability to keep track of new messages in that box...?

Because, as has been discussed on the list before, mutt doesn't actually
know that there are new messages in the box; it simply knows that the
modification timestamp (last write) is later than the access time stamp
(last read) and, according to the definition that that fits, says there
is new mail.  If biff or buffy were to update the access timestamp,
though, then it wouldn't fit the "new mail" qualification any more.

To test this, get into another mailbox, open another window, and touch
your spoolfile's modification time; you should then see it in your new
mail mailbox list.  Immediately try to change to it and see if it's
offerred up in the list.  If you do this within five seconds or so you
should beat any biff/buffy/shell/newmail/... checks.  If it *isn't* in
the list, then use ls to compare the mod and access times and see if they
are what you expect, indicating some other problem, or have been updated,
indicating a rogue biff.

%
% - Myrddin
%  ICQ: 22404528                   Why Vegan?   http://www.firstmagic.com/vegan